Claus Cito (1882-1965) who created the “Monument du Souvenir” commonly known as “’Gëlle Fra”, studied art at the School of Applied Arts and at the Art Academy in Stuttgart where he acquired in-depth knowledge. Enthralled by the Social Realism of Constantin Meunier, Cito settled in Brussels in 1909. Having won the “Monument du Souvenir” competition, he returned to Bascharage in 1922 in order to set up his own small business in a workshop. During the 1930s, his small company continued to develop and orders poured in before the Second World War brought the business to an abrupt end. During the post-war years, the master created his late works: seven war memorials in Luxembourg’s southern communities.
|Drawings:||Anne Mélan (L)|
|Printing:||Multicoloured high resolution offset by Bpost Stamps Factory, Malines (B)|
|Dimensions:||27,66 x 40,20 mm, 10 stamps per sheet|