Trinity Church and its turreted building are an institution in Luxembourg: the church is famous for its ecclesiastical music, concerts and exhibitions and is known by an astonishing number of names: The Trinity or Trinitatis Church, the Congregational Church, the Evangelical Church or the Protestant Church. Less well known is the fact that Luxembourg’s Protestants can now look back on an evangelical presence in Luxembourg dating back some 200 years. In 1817, the previously Catholic Congregational Church (built in 1737-45) became the garrison church for Evangelical troops of the Prussian garrison. The first Evangelical church building established by Protestants was consecrated in Esch-sur-Alzette in 1888. The Protestants were officially recognised by the state in 1894. Later, the establishment of European institutions and international companies in the city also fuelled continuous growth in the proportion of Protestants in Luxembourg.