Since the law to abolish compulsory military service and introduce voluntary military service entered into force on 29 June 1967, more than 8,350 volunteer soldiers have served in the Luxembourg Army.
Voluntary military service has also been open to young women since 1987 and a law passed in 2002 opened up voluntary military service also to citizens of European Union member states.
The Luxembourg Army regularly takes part in peacekeeping missions under the auspices of the United Nations, NATO and the European Union. In this capacity, 2,000 Luxembourgish servicemen have contributed to missions in the Balkans, Afghanistan, Lebanon and on the continent of Africa.
The Luxembourg Military Band was founded on 29 December 1842 following the creation of an infantry battalion garrisoned at Echternach. In 1847, Luxembourg established a second infantry battalion, which was also accompanied by a military band.
At the time of its creation, the military band was known as the “Hornistenkorps” and was made up of between 25 and 29 musicians. 175 years later, the “Hornistenkorps” has evolved into a professional orchestra of Luxembourgish musicians. Placed under the direct authority of the Chief of Staff, the Luxembourg Military Band is made up of some sixty professional musicians.
The orchestra also regularly performs for the Grand-Ducal Court, during state visits, official visits and also leads official ceremonies or formal dinners.