The European Community of Coal & Steel Court of Justice was created in 1952.
Villa Vauban was provided by the city of Luxembourg to house the offices of the seven judges and two prosecuting lawyers.
At the end of the 1960s, the Court of Justice decided to locate all their institutions on the Kirchberg plateau. It was decided that a new building to serve, from a functional and symbolic perspective, as a headquarters for the jurisdiction. The new Courts were opened in 1973.
Three extensions were built in 1988, 1993 and 1994, to meet the enlargement of the European Union and the changing needs of the institution.
The entire complex was reviewed in order to create new Courts around the 1973 building.